How To Build A Blocking Board
I needed a blocking block for 16 inch crochet squares. The largest Styrofoam squares I could locate were 12 inch square, which was not big enough. I bought a sheet of Floracraft Styrofoam 2”X12’X36” from JoAnn’s Craft and Fabric and made my own.
Sheet of Floracraft Styrofoam 2”X12”X36”
Toothpicks pointed on both ends
Skewer sticks 1 large package – 104 sticks (16 X 4 = 104)
1/8 or ¼ inch dowel sticks (Optional)
Flat work surface
Sharpie or other permanent marker
Yard stick or other measuring tool
Styrofoam cutting tool (I used hack saw blade)
Clear shellac (optional)
Pencil sharpener to fit dowel sticks
- Lay sheet of Styrofoam on work surface
- Find center point of sheet(18 inches) and mark across so that you have a straight line to cut by
- Turn side up (18 inches)
- Place toothpicks into one side about 1 inch apart
- Take Styroglue and go around toothpicks, up and down so that you can get a good seal
- Take other piece and match smooth end and cut end to the piece with toothpicks in it
- Push down onto toothpicks until sides are touching without space between them.
- Block will be 24” X 18” at this point
- Weight down or from sides until dry ( I left mine overnight)
- If using skewer sticks they will splinter as the yarn is placed up and down on them leaving small bits of wood where placed. I recommend that you shellac them at this point while glue dries.
- Lay back out on work surface and get yard stick
- Measuring in 1 inch from sides, place a mark every inch on all sides
- Push the pointed end of the skewer sticks into the one inch marks where you need your square to measure. (first pin on left is 0, 2nd is 1”, 3rd is 2”, and so on) Optional use the dowel sticks instead of skewers. If using dowels it is best to sharpen one end to make it easier to push in Styrofoam.
- It is easy to place sticks were you need them each time to block your squares.
Enjoy your new project!!
To watch the video click on the image below
You may also like:
LIKE FREE PATTERNS? GET THEM RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Join over 2,700 followers who are receiving our weekly newsletter and getting our posts right in their inboxes, every Friday! Privacy is important to us. We promise that your email address will NEVER be sold or shared with anyone else. Subscribe to the Newsletter HERE!
Let me know if you need any help learning how to crochet!
Be sure to share this Roundup with your friends and fellow Crafters.