Picnic Pocket Napkin ~
Free Crochet Pattern
I designed this Picnic Pocket Napkin for the 2017 Summer Activities Crochet-a-Long. This lovely pocket napkin is a great way to get ready for the summer picnics at the beach, park, or camping trips. It has a pocket that secures the plastic ware, which makes it easy to pick up everything at one time when you are holding your filled plate. Make them for family outings or reunions and let the guest take them home as a special remembrance gift. Enjoy!
- Click HERE to Queue or Favorite on Ravelry
- Scroll down for the Free Crochet Pattern
- or Click HERE to purchase the pdf for your convenience.
- See more Free Crochet Patterns HERE
Level of Difficulty – Beginner
Yarn – Lily Sugar’n Cream #4, 100% Cotton, 4 ozs/113 g/200 yds/184 m. I used approximately 50 to 75 yards of #2016 Bright Navy
Hook and Notions – Size Hook: H/8 (5.0 mm), Scissors, Yarn needle (for sewing pocket)
Measurement – Laying flat width 11 inches before pocket (9 inches after pocket), height 10 ½ inches
Gauge – 3 pattern repeat + 8 rows = 4-inches
Ch = chain
Dc = double crochet
FHDC = foundation half double crochet
Sc = single crochet
Sp = space
- Chain 1 at beginning of row does not counts as a single crochet.
- Chain 3 at beginning of row counts as a double crochet.
Special Stitch –
- FHDC – (Foundation Half Double Crochet) Chain 2, yarn over, insert hook into first chain (2nd from the hook), yarn over, pull up through the first loop on the hook (this is your first chain loop). With 3 loops on hook, yarn over, pull through 3. * Yarn over, insert your hook into the first chain loop, yarn over, pull up a loop (this is your second chain loop), yarn over, pull through 3. 2 fhdc completed. Repeat from * until you reach the desired number of fhdc.
- Shell work (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in indicated stitch.
- Beginning Half Shell – work chain 3, double crochet in indicated stitch
- Ending Half Shell – work 2 double crochet in indicated stitch
FHDC (see special stitches) 43
Row 1: Chain 1, sc in the same stitch as the chain 1, * skip the next 2 stitches, shell in the next stitch, skip the next 2 stitches, sc in the next stitch, skip the next 2 stitches, * repeat from * to * across, until there are 3 stitches remaining, skip the next 2 stitches, sc in the turning chain. Turn (7 shells)
Row 2: Chain 3, dc in the same stitch as the chain 3 (half shell made), * sc in the chain 1 space, shell in the sc, * repeat from * to * across, ending with a half shell in the last stitch. Turn (6 shells, 2 half shells)
Row 3: Chain 1, sc in the same stitch as the chain 1, * shell in the sc, sc in the next chain 1 space, * repeat from * to * across, sc in the last stitch. Turn (7 shells)
Rows 4-20: Repeat Rows 2 and 3
Fasten off leave a tail for sewing.
Fold in 2 inches on the left side of the napkin from bottom to top. Using mattress stitch sew the ends of the folded areas to form the pocket.
I used the star pattern from Joanita’s at Creative Crochet Workshop, Spaceship Playbook, leaving a tail for attaching to the napkin on the outside of the pocket. Pull tail through 2 stitches centered and secure. Button through center of shell.
Fasten off and weave in ends.
To learn more about the 2017 Summer Activities Crochet-a-Long go click on the link below